Growth Mindset

 I have never heard if Carol Dweck and the idea of growth mindset. I've known about similar ideas to growth mindset but not in the exact way that Carol describes it. I learned about Carol Dweck and her ideas on growth mindset through the linked videos I was required to watch. These were very interesting and informative on the subject. 

When I think of growth mindset in my life, I feel like it was possibly a big factor in my education up until now. Im not 100% sure on it but the idea of being praised on my work wasn't a major part of my education, it was rather someone like my English teacher or engineering teacher telling me I was on the right track and that I should keep going. One of my more successful secondary subjects was engineering. My teacher never showered me with praise but rather said my work was good and that I should keep working on it. This pushed me to work harder which may have been one of the reasons why I did so well in this subject. Looking at the idea of growth fixed mindset in a fitness point of view, I feel like I do impliment this idea into my life. I never praise myself or expect compliments when I feel Ive reached goals but instead I feel like I've always used Carols idea of "yet" as I've not reached my final goals yet. 

I feel like online university is a challenging task for my learning. I like to be with friends while at university as we motivate each other throughout our days. This is hard to do online as we aren't actually together. My biggest challenge is keeping my interest and getting my work done on time. I feel like I may struggle with being interested having to do everything online as I was always a student that loved to be more face to face with my learning. 

A growth mindset is needed for #4IR Shift the negative to … | Flickr

Image of growth mindset
Source: Flickr

I feel like I am interested in learning some more about the idea of growth mindset. I feel like it's a very beneficial thing for society and could maybe be of benefit for myself to learn some more on the topic. 

Overall I only have one personal learning goal for the semester and that's to improve myself in all areas, even if its only slight improvements, such as my coding ability and photoshop skills. On the topic of classes I'm excited about, I'm actually excited about all of them so far besides web development. I think all these new modules seem very interesting and will help me grow as a student. 

Comments

Popular Posts