My Feedback Thoughts

The first article I read was "A fixed mindset could be holding you back ". I found this article to very interesting to read, but not very relevant to myself. As I grew up, I never believed myself to have a fixed mindset in anyway, shape or form. It just wasn't me. I always believed that I had more room to improve, wether that be in sport, gaming or education. I was never the best at any of the sports I played but I also was never the worst. I was always encouraged by coaches to improve or I knew myself that I could improve, if I just did this or that, and this is the same with Education. I wasn't the best in my class at many of my subjects so I can't relate to these trainee doctors that Professor Jill Klein talks about within this article, but in engineering, I was definitely up there as the best in class. To compare my mindset within engineering to a fixed mindset, it was the complete opposite. 


I always went to the class thinking I had to work hard or I won't get a good result, I never felt I had the result I wanted. I was forced to work for it. One of the best productive feedback I got was my teacher at the time never really hyping me or the class up. He would always say we had to work hard, to do exam papers and we would reap the reward when we finished. I liked his way of motivating and I think that's one of the reasons why I did so well. 

The second article I read was "Why it's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback". This was a short but very mind provoking read, as I can and I would also say, anyone else reading this, can relate to what Tim Herrera is talking about. Negative feedback can always be tough to receive and to be honest, there's not much worse than receiving negative feedback on something you were proud of. I have had my fair share of negative feedback experiences through out my life, and one that always comes to mind is my experience of reading my English essay out loud to the class, and then receiving mostly negative feedback from my teacher. I wasn't the only one to receive negative feedback that day but it was still hard to come to terms with, as I felt my writing was good and felt the essay interesting. 

Information Feedback Exchange Of - Free vector graphic on Pixabay
An image of negative and positive feedback
Source: Pixabay

Another experience I've had with negative feedback was at work. See, I work in a pub and there are days where you can be caught slacking. One of those days I was called out by my manager, which completely killed my mood, I could barely look him in the eyes and I felt my work ethic was thrown off for the day. I don't know why I reacted like this and looking back, I should have reacted in the way Tim Herrera describes. If I am slacking, and I get called out, I should look at that criticism and evaluate it, instead of ignoring it. This would really improve my overall work ethic and mindset as a person. 

Comments

  1. I like the idea of creating a 3D maze game where the player has to find something and then find a way out, i think this would definitely be a fun project to work on and i think adding some kind of horror elements could make the game much more engaging.

    Have you considered locking off areas of the house in your horror game and then you could make players search for keys or something along those lines to progress further into the game but the player could still be being hunted by an enemy.

    In relation to your racing game idea, i would suggest adding options for multiple routes so that is players could make more difficult turns but be rewarded with a slightly faster route, i believe this would add a skill cap to your game and allow for more replay-ability as players would have more choices on how they play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts