Prototype

This week I started the prototype of my game. I had my Game Design Document finished and now it was time to work on getting some of the game done. I started this off by opening up unity and then going to the asset store. First thing I did was get a texture for the building platform (plane), which I was going to work on. I got this stone texture and then applied it to the plane. 

I then got a character model from the unity store and added him to my game. 


 A screenshot of my Unity game 
Source: Personal Screenshot

The first thing I wanted to do was get the player controls underway, so I would be able to walk around the game when I completed something. I followed this YouTube tutorial that showed me the way to create a working first person camera, with movement and jumper. The link to this video is here.

I was really happy to have this out of the way, so now I have a working, moving character model for my game. 


 A screenshot of my Unity game 
Source: Personal Screenshot

I decided to give making a room, just to see how my character would interact with the walls. I did some testing and then decided that I would be better off seeing if the asset store as some assets that would work better, rather then trying to build them myself. 


A screenshot of my Unity game 
Source: Personal Screenshot

I came across this fantasy asset pack which is full of useful assets that I think could be great for me when working on my game. I decided to use some stairs to see how my character would interact with them, which my character did and climbed them and then fell with gravity, with no hassle. I then built a small room out of the assets and did some small testing with my character. My character wouldn't just walk through the walls, so I now know, I could use these for my game. 

So far, everything is working well. I have a good baseline to work off for the coming weeks. Originally for this week, I wanted to have a working character and some assets to work with, so I am happy with my progress. 

Comments

  1. Hey Eamon, wow amazing work you have done here on your game. Really good prototype and can see that there definitely is a lot of progress made. Glad to see that you are also happy with the work that you have done and that is that main thing. Also really cool assets that you found. They seem like they really fit in well with the game great work here !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which package from the store did you decide to use for your prototype, the floor and character model?
    I think you had a good idea starting with the player controls as that would make things so much easier for you to see your game world while you are still developing.
    It was a smart move beginning by using a youtube tutorial as im sure it made the coding of your game much simpler.
    i like the overall look of your game so far , the old stone look, it has a very minecraft-esque look to it.
    Glad to see that your code is working properly and all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eamon, it's Killian, Whopper work on your game, I really the design of it, seems really interesting and looks like it'll be a really fun game to play. From reading your blog you seem to have a fair idea on what your aiming for which is good. Even just reading about the key mechanic tells me you put a lot of effort in the game. I'd be interested to see how your game looks when it's finished as its an interesting concept and from what I have seen from the other blogs its fairly unique to itself too. Wish you luck and hope it's what you want it to be when you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eamon, I really like how you decided to start making your game. I also really like the choice of textures and how the player looks. Seeing the stone platform or map made me wonder if the map will remain that big or will you resize it. I was also wondering if the building/buildings will have a roof or are they going to remain like that.
    If you get the chance you should really look at adding animation to the player as he/she walk, jump or runs. I think that would be a really nice touch. Of course if you get the time to do so.
    I have used the TAG feedback technique for this comment. I can't wait to see the final game, Denis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts